I love the sound of goats yelling
# of cups of tea I had on the day of the freak rain storm and it was randomly very chilly-
# times I called my mom trying to figure out how to make posole (New Mexico soup) for my host family- 10 (approx.)
# of days of my service left- 240 (approx)
# of days of service completed- 570 (approx)
# of virus infected files taken off my computer this time- 432 (grr!! Freaking internet places that don’t have virus protection software)
# of presidential candidates for Guatemala that came to visit Tejutla before the legal date to start campaigning- 2 (that I know of)
Cost to run public service announcement on local radio for a month- $30
I am off to the US in 2 days! This my itinerary (Yes.. I know, crazy)
Dallas: March 21st to March 25th
Albuquerque: March 25th to March 29th
Los Angeles: March 29th to April 3rd
What We Got Here: Fresh whole wheat loaf of bread for $.50
What You Got There: You don’t have to take a bus an hour and walk 20min for this bread
Plant Update: My peas have grown a few pods, 4months later! I have now planted 12 zucchini plants and realized that great that I spent hours making my garden to plant them. However, I am going to have a ton of zucchinis in a few weeks. Not doing good on diversifying my garden. Other problem is I got a mysterious something taking bites out of the leaves. Who knows what it could be. Bug, bird or bunny.
Lesson of The Week- When soaking your clothes in a bucket to be cleaned the next day. Beware of freak rain storms (since we haven’t had rain in almost 2months) because placing the bucket accidentally under the storm drain run off will cause the bucket to fill with mud thanks to the amount of dirt that has piled onto the roof over the weeks. Clothes were dirtier than when they started out
(he is playing marbles)
Operation: Get That Egg: I am working on changing the name of my newest project with the kids. I have money left over from the ginger bread project so I am using that to do an easter project with about 60kids. I am coming up somewhat short on help but keep telling myself that everything will work out in the end so no need to stress about it. I originally wanted to dye eggs, but that I figured would be a big mess plus I can´t figure out how to hard bowl 180 eggs. Then an egg hunt I wanted to do but I think the big kids might take all the eggs so there won´t be any left for the little kids. So Jake mentioned just hiding the baskets in general. Good idea... We might play some games but we will see if I have enough help. I also found instructions on how to make bunny ears so that should be cute. Got a lot of stuff I need to get before April 14th.
Meeting with AMIGOS President- I was interested in knowing more about the leadership area in Non Profits so I emailed the president of an organization I volunteered with in high school called AMIGOS. I emailed asking a few questions wondering what her opinion was on the non profit field and she by amazing chance was going to be in Guatemala the following week. So we met, I ate dinner with her group she was traveling with and we chatted till 1030pm. She was an absolute delight to talk to and gave me insight into the non-profit field. This is very much the shortened version of that day. In the end it was a tasty dinner, wonderful chat, and if I ever want to live in Houston, I know of a great place that might give me a job J
Made Posole for Host Family- My mom sent me the ingredients to make posole (a traditional New Mexico soup) for my host family. After several phone calls, 5hrs of cooking which meant I sat by the pot the whole time afraid that my host family would try and add something to the soup while I was out. They ended up liking the soup which I was really worried they would have a giant pot of soup they didn´t want.
When the bus is slow and you are late best thing to do is take off watch and put on the headphones.

Village Public Announcement- I was talking with my family one night after our black beans and boiled plantain dinner and the elections are coming up in November. My neighbor, their friend, is running for mayor and they were using a cheap tiny recording device to record the campaign announcement and were using the 4yr olds for background voice assistance. Would not hear that in the US
Favorite comment from fellow PC volunteer “I have given up eating peanut butter but I had been eating a lot of peanuts lately”
Ever Tried This Before? I went to do a market study with one of the indigenous men I am working with from the community and I found a cheap place to eat that was a hamburger and fries. He ate the burger in the most unusal way I have ever seen. First he took the bun with the side with the mayo, then dipped the fries in that. Then ate the bun. Then he took the other bun in one hand, the meat in the other, and alternated between the two.
Huh? Will Someone Please Explain This!- Every now and then pastors get on the buses to preach for about 10min and then get off. Well this one got on to talk about Noah’s Ark. Then he said “Then God said it would be 40days of rain and 40 nights of rain. What does that add up to? 80.” I asked the guy next to me “80 what?” in case I missed something. He didn’t know either. I am still curious, what in the world was 80 in reference to?
My Poor Computer- Sorry my blog entries have been slow going up lately. My poor computer’s hard drive is crashing and so I have been hardly using the computer trying to make it last until I can get to the states and buy a new hard drive. So if you computer ever starts making sounds like it thinks its online, but it’t not, and then doesn’t want to start sometimes. Good sign you are having the same problem as mine.
Funny Moment- Guys peeing in public is anything but uncommon here. Well, I saw this kid, about 10yrs old come up to a car and start peeing (they always go for the wheel) and this other kid came around the corner and started shooting him with a little plastic pellet gun and he was getting mad at him while he was trying to pee on the tire. I was amused.
Embarrassing Market Moment- I go to a market about 20min by bus from here every other Wednesday to check prices to help with a study my office is doing. Well there are about 500 different plants that they sell that in my mind all look the same. Either its an herb, lettuce looking stuff, leafy plants that you don’t understand how someone can eat them or a variety of other green veggies that I can’t identify. Well I usually pick it up, smell it to see if I can identify it. This time I picked up an unfamiliar plant and it didn’t smell at all. I asked what it was and the lady told me it was from the top of a carrot and that you don’t eat that part. Oppsss…
Spanish Boo-Boo- So after 19months (I know, long time) of being here, still have many Spanish language issues. This time I was making an invoice for some products and where I meant to write “Recipients Signature” I wrote “Trash Can’s Signature” The lady who was agreeing to sell our products laughed luckily.
My New Favorite Sound- I was leaving on a chicken bus and we started to drive off and I heard what sounded like a man yelling. However all the people outside the bus were looking at the top and laughing but I had no idea what was up there. We passed a window and I saw the buses reflection and on top of the bus were about a dozen goats tied up. Everytime we went over a speed bump they would yell. I couldn’t help but laugh and feel bad for them at the same time. So yea, not sure if you have ever heard an upset goat but it’s a really funny sound.
Best Discovery of the Week- I found a house that grows lavender for whatever reason and so you pick a handful of flowers, put it in your house and boom! Free air freshener!
Oddest Music Mix- I heard on the bus a song that was a combo of The Macarena and Christmas Music
Grandma Tip of the Week- For those of you who don’t have fridges (wait..that would be just me)… to put your spinach in a bowl of water to keep it from going bad as fast. That’s also assuming your spinach comes with the roots, mine does J
# times I called my mom trying to figure out how to make posole (New Mexico soup) for my host family- 10 (approx.)
# of days of my service left- 240 (approx)
# of days of service completed- 570 (approx)
# of virus infected files taken off my computer this time- 432 (grr!! Freaking internet places that don’t have virus protection software)
# of presidential candidates for Guatemala that came to visit Tejutla before the legal date to start campaigning- 2 (that I know of)
Cost to run public service announcement on local radio for a month- $30
I am off to the US in 2 days! This my itinerary (Yes.. I know, crazy)
Dallas: March 21st to March 25th
Albuquerque: March 25th to March 29th
Los Angeles: March 29th to April 3rd
What We Got Here: Fresh whole wheat loaf of bread for $.50
What You Got There: You don’t have to take a bus an hour and walk 20min for this bread
Plant Update: My peas have grown a few pods, 4months later! I have now planted 12 zucchini plants and realized that great that I spent hours making my garden to plant them. However, I am going to have a ton of zucchinis in a few weeks. Not doing good on diversifying my garden. Other problem is I got a mysterious something taking bites out of the leaves. Who knows what it could be. Bug, bird or bunny.
Lesson of The Week- When soaking your clothes in a bucket to be cleaned the next day. Beware of freak rain storms (since we haven’t had rain in almost 2months) because placing the bucket accidentally under the storm drain run off will cause the bucket to fill with mud thanks to the amount of dirt that has piled onto the roof over the weeks. Clothes were dirtier than when they started out
Operation: Get That Egg: I am working on changing the name of my newest project with the kids. I have money left over from the ginger bread project so I am using that to do an easter project with about 60kids. I am coming up somewhat short on help but keep telling myself that everything will work out in the end so no need to stress about it. I originally wanted to dye eggs, but that I figured would be a big mess plus I can´t figure out how to hard bowl 180 eggs. Then an egg hunt I wanted to do but I think the big kids might take all the eggs so there won´t be any left for the little kids. So Jake mentioned just hiding the baskets in general. Good idea... We might play some games but we will see if I have enough help. I also found instructions on how to make bunny ears so that should be cute. Got a lot of stuff I need to get before April 14th.
Meeting with AMIGOS President- I was interested in knowing more about the leadership area in Non Profits so I emailed the president of an organization I volunteered with in high school called AMIGOS. I emailed asking a few questions wondering what her opinion was on the non profit field and she by amazing chance was going to be in Guatemala the following week. So we met, I ate dinner with her group she was traveling with and we chatted till 1030pm. She was an absolute delight to talk to and gave me insight into the non-profit field. This is very much the shortened version of that day. In the end it was a tasty dinner, wonderful chat, and if I ever want to live in Houston, I know of a great place that might give me a job J
Made Posole for Host Family- My mom sent me the ingredients to make posole (a traditional New Mexico soup) for my host family. After several phone calls, 5hrs of cooking which meant I sat by the pot the whole time afraid that my host family would try and add something to the soup while I was out. They ended up liking the soup which I was really worried they would have a giant pot of soup they didn´t want.
When the bus is slow and you are late best thing to do is take off watch and put on the headphones.
Village Public Announcement- I was talking with my family one night after our black beans and boiled plantain dinner and the elections are coming up in November. My neighbor, their friend, is running for mayor and they were using a cheap tiny recording device to record the campaign announcement and were using the 4yr olds for background voice assistance. Would not hear that in the US
Favorite comment from fellow PC volunteer “I have given up eating peanut butter but I had been eating a lot of peanuts lately”
Ever Tried This Before? I went to do a market study with one of the indigenous men I am working with from the community and I found a cheap place to eat that was a hamburger and fries. He ate the burger in the most unusal way I have ever seen. First he took the bun with the side with the mayo, then dipped the fries in that. Then ate the bun. Then he took the other bun in one hand, the meat in the other, and alternated between the two.
Huh? Will Someone Please Explain This!- Every now and then pastors get on the buses to preach for about 10min and then get off. Well this one got on to talk about Noah’s Ark. Then he said “Then God said it would be 40days of rain and 40 nights of rain. What does that add up to? 80.” I asked the guy next to me “80 what?” in case I missed something. He didn’t know either. I am still curious, what in the world was 80 in reference to?
My Poor Computer- Sorry my blog entries have been slow going up lately. My poor computer’s hard drive is crashing and so I have been hardly using the computer trying to make it last until I can get to the states and buy a new hard drive. So if you computer ever starts making sounds like it thinks its online, but it’t not, and then doesn’t want to start sometimes. Good sign you are having the same problem as mine.
Funny Moment- Guys peeing in public is anything but uncommon here. Well, I saw this kid, about 10yrs old come up to a car and start peeing (they always go for the wheel) and this other kid came around the corner and started shooting him with a little plastic pellet gun and he was getting mad at him while he was trying to pee on the tire. I was amused.
Embarrassing Market Moment- I go to a market about 20min by bus from here every other Wednesday to check prices to help with a study my office is doing. Well there are about 500 different plants that they sell that in my mind all look the same. Either its an herb, lettuce looking stuff, leafy plants that you don’t understand how someone can eat them or a variety of other green veggies that I can’t identify. Well I usually pick it up, smell it to see if I can identify it. This time I picked up an unfamiliar plant and it didn’t smell at all. I asked what it was and the lady told me it was from the top of a carrot and that you don’t eat that part. Oppsss…
Spanish Boo-Boo- So after 19months (I know, long time) of being here, still have many Spanish language issues. This time I was making an invoice for some products and where I meant to write “Recipients Signature” I wrote “Trash Can’s Signature” The lady who was agreeing to sell our products laughed luckily.
My New Favorite Sound- I was leaving on a chicken bus and we started to drive off and I heard what sounded like a man yelling. However all the people outside the bus were looking at the top and laughing but I had no idea what was up there. We passed a window and I saw the buses reflection and on top of the bus were about a dozen goats tied up. Everytime we went over a speed bump they would yell. I couldn’t help but laugh and feel bad for them at the same time. So yea, not sure if you have ever heard an upset goat but it’s a really funny sound.
Best Discovery of the Week- I found a house that grows lavender for whatever reason and so you pick a handful of flowers, put it in your house and boom! Free air freshener!
Oddest Music Mix- I heard on the bus a song that was a combo of The Macarena and Christmas Music
Grandma Tip of the Week- For those of you who don’t have fridges (wait..that would be just me)… to put your spinach in a bowl of water to keep it from going bad as fast. That’s also assuming your spinach comes with the roots, mine does J
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home